Step By Step Guide That How To Apply Foundation Correctly On Your Face
The good complexion depends on the perfect foundation. There are a lot of steps behind that good foundation. A flawless foundation is at the base of smearing makeup like makeup artists. All you need is to pick right shade, prepare your skin before apply foundation, apply and blend foundation correctly. You should know the basics that how to apply foundation correctly because applying foundation is an art that everybody doesn’t know. In this article, we will discuss some good tips that how to apply foundation correctly for getting truly flawless results.
Choosing the Right Shade
Choosing the right shade according to your complexion is probably the most significant primary step if you want amazing results and good skincare. There is a variety of foundation shades available in the market for the neutral, pink, and yellow-toned skin. Yellow is the most common foundation shade as a lot of women fall into pink and yellow toned categories. Yellow tones are commonly known “warm” and contain bronze, sand, beige, and olive. Pink tones are considered as “cool” and contain rose-gold, copper, rose and ivory. But sometimes cosmetic manufacturers’ change their labels e.g. sand categorized as “cool” or ivory as “warm.”
How to Apply Foundation correctly
Here are some important basic steps that how to apply foundation correctly.
- Prepare your skin
Cleanse your skin before applying foundation with rose water or cleansing water. Apply moisturizer which suits to your skin type. Apply liquid texture based moisturizer for dry skin tone and use matte moisturizer for oily skin.
- Choose a foundation for your skin type
Choose right foundation according to your skin tone as the foundation is the base of the makeup. You can use various foundation shades that suit your skin tone. But keep in your mind; buy that foundation which matches your face without blending instead of matches your hand.
- Apply foundation using foundation brush
Makeup brushes are always the best choice than using fingers to apply foundation on your face. Most women do makeup mistake while use hands or fingers to apply foundation. You should always use foundation makeup brush for even blending and applying foundation on your face. Start to apply foundation from the center of the face and blend it towards the outside of the face.
- Use concealer
Apply concealer using your fingers on the redness and blotches. The right concealer will give you flawless look.
- Set the foundation
Use a shimmery powder to set the concealer and foundation. Though, do not apply extra translucent powder. Use a soft sponge or make up brush to smidgen the powder on spots that likely to be glittery like below eyes, nose, chin etc.
Different ways of applying foundation:
How To Apply Foundation With Your Fingers
You can apply a cream, compact; apply liquid and matte foundation with your fingers.
- Check the foundation on your hand and if you’re using a compact foundation, you’ll have to deposit directly from its case.
- Then, apply foundation to your face by dabbing on feathery strokes using your fingers. Use ring and middle fingers for this purpose.
- You should apply it descending from your forehead to chin as If you apply it in upwards direction, the tiny facial hair will leave a mask-like effect.
- For the desired finish, gently dab with a soft brush or damp sponge to refine the foundation texture.
How To Apply Foundation With A Sponge
A damp sponge is always a good choice to refine finish. You should use a good quality brush with soft and smooth skin surface sponge. Sponges are available in different sizes and shapes but always choose wedge shape sponge. It is more convenient and user-friendly as it allows you to get into difficult spots such as inner eye edge which gives you more sheer finish.
Applying Cream, Liquid, Compact, Powder, and Cream-to-Powder Foundations
- In a similar way, you apply foundation with your fingers, take a small portion of liquid or cream foundation to the back of your hand, and apply it with the wedge sponge from forehead to chin with light feathery strokes.
- For cream-to-powder and powder foundations, use warm water to dampen the sponge for a perfectly blended finish.
Applying Compact Powder Foundation
- Don’t use a foundation brush to apply compact powder foundation as it can only be applied with a wet or dry sponge.
- For desired results, use swiping and swift strokes downwardly.
How to Apply With a Foundation Brush
Foundation brush is always a right choice for a flawless and sheer finish. There are two kinds of foundation brushes available in the market i.e. tapered and round brush. If you want amazing finish then you must use denser, rounded type of brush. The soft and synthetic bristles are mandatory for best results because natural bristles are too much too inflexible that absorb the foundation and damage the skin.
- Take a little portion of foundation on the back of your hand.
- Apply it with the one side of brush over your whole face with light and crisscross strokes from forehead to chin outwardly.
- Now, do the same with the other side of the brush without loading for the amazingly blended finish.
What to Consider When Buying a New Foundation
- Consider that foundation that seems invisible and matches against your complexion.
- If your complexion is fairly untarnished, it’s a good idea to use translucent and light foundation. Best for you are alphabet creams, tinted moisturizers, powder foundations light and liquid foundations.
- If your skin is dry or sensitive skin, you must use a hydrates product and protects foundation products such as a moisturizing liquid foundation or cream foundation.
Additional Tips to Help You Get the Best Out of Your Foundation
- The pure your makeup foundation, the more natural it will demeanor. Yet, the too pure foundation will leave a spotted finish.
- Don’t apply foundation like a moisturizer as you spread it after dotting on your face. It will give you chalky blemished finish.
- Blot gently with a Q-tip and middle fingers to disperse the foundation when it settles in wrinkles and lines with light rolling motion.
- If you darken your complexion with foundation, it looks unnatural.
- As an alternative, use a self-tanner for best results.
- Use the cosmetic tissue to deposit loose powder foundation to pick up instead of using directly from the container. That way the product will not become lumpy.